History of Hyden
The Early YearsThe town of Hyden was established after the government opened the land up
to farming in the 1920's. The first wheat crop wasn't grown until 1927 and the wheat had to be carted from Hyden to Kondinin. By the 1930's a railway had been built from Kondinin to Hyden Rock. The town
was gazetted in 1932.
To Keep The Rabbits OutIn the 1890's, thanks to a keen hunter, Australia experienced a
virtually rabbit explosion. In a bid to keep the rabbits out of Western Australia a Rabbit Proof Fence was built. A portion of the fence runs through Hyden.
The World Discovers Wave RockWave Rock received worldwide attention after a photograph appeared in
the National Geographics magazine in 1967. The rock is a 15m high & 100m long granite overhanging natural
wall. The granite wave was created by millions of years of chemical erosion occurring below ground before the
rock was exposed. The colour bands that run down the rock face are caused by the run-off of water containing
carbonates & iron hydroxide and by algal growth. To cope with the increasing numbers of tourists flocking
into Hyden, the Hyden Tourist Development Company was formed in the early 1970's. They were instrumental in
setting up facilities such as public toilets, a caravan park, a wildlife park, drive-in cinema, motel,
restaurants, souvenir shops and the Hyden Roadhouse. The granite wave attracts over 100,000 tourists annually.
The economy of Hyden relies heavily on sheep and cattle production (approximately $35 million), tourism
(approximately $5 million) and mining (approximately $1 million). However like many small rural towns, Hyden has
recognised the need to be more economically diverse and not to rely on one or two industries (especially those
vulnerable to weather and climatic elements) for its income source. As a result the community have been actively
involved in encouraging and initiating alternative business opportunities that will contribute to the districts