Architecture of Pinjarra
In 1891 a group of local settlers called for the building of a post office in Pinjarra. The first
post office was established in 1868 and operated out of Mrs Sutcliffe's cottage. Mrs Sutcliffe was to become the
town's post mistress for 25 years. In 1895 the Vicorian style Post and Telegraph Office was built to a design by
Government architect George Temple-poole.
The town's original courthouse was an attractive single storey building with verandah and shingle
roof, built in 1887. Eventially a petition was presented to the Premier of Western Australia in 1891 to replace the
Court House, however this was rejected and the available funds were used for roads and other facilities.It was
finally demolished in the 1920's and replaced with this courthouse in 1935.Pinjarra's first court proceedings were
Petty Sessions held in the house of licensed publican Mr W.E.Oakley in the 1840's. The final sitting of the
Magistrates Court was held in December 2002, when the Court was closed.
Former Road Board Office
From the mid 1870's until 1935 this building was the office of the Murray Road Board. The role of
the Road Board was primarily concerned with the development of roads between the Murray district and major trade
centres.It was built using locally made bricks and is one of the 13 original Road Board offices in the State.
This grand old building with its beautiful gardens overlooks the flats of the Murray River 3km
south of Pinjarra. The Old Bythwood was built in 1860 by the McLarty family and was used as a family home and a
coach inn . The family would often provide overnight accomodation and a hearty meal for weary travellers. The house
was also used as the local Post Office until 1868. By the turn of the century the Inn had ceased operation and the
Old Blythwood remained a family homestead. In 1974 the Old Blythwood was presented to the National Trust for use as
a house museum and is open to the public two days a week or by appointment.
In 1888 Edward McLarty built Evenvale for his family who had been living at Liveringa since the mid
1870's. This elegant 17 room residence with wide verandahs remained the home of the McLarty family until after the
death of Sir Ross McLarty in 1962. Sir Ross was Premier of Western Australia from 1947 to 1953. The State
Government, with the assistance from the Commonwealth, acquired the residence because of its Western Australian
political history from 1894-1962.In the later years Edenvale was running into disrepair and was very close to being
demolished had it not been for the vigorous protest of the Pinjarra residents. It was taken over by the Murray
Shire Council and housed the Pinjarra Public Library for a time.
Old Butcher Shop
The Old Butchers Shop is a small one room building which was used to supply the town with meat from
the McLarty family farm. The building is made of jarrah weatherboard and has a pitched corrugated iron roof and is
located between Edenvale and Liveringa.
Old School House
The old schoolhouse was completed in 1896 and was designed by government architect George
Temple-Poole. The project also included a four-roomed teacher's cottage nearby. The building was constructed of
locally baked mud bricks, and had two classrooms added in 1921.A new school was built in 1938 and this building was
later purchased by the Anglican Church.
St John's Anglican Church
This church is reputed to be the fifth oldest church in Western Australia. Building was carried out
during 1861 and 1862 by a local settler, Anthony Cornish. (The building was consecrated in 1863.) A vestry was
added a few years later, and a porch in 1879. The cost of the building was just over 300 pounds, it included a
shingle roof, pews and pulpit some of the carpentry was carried out by the Fremantle prisoners. The building was
subjected to flooding and there is a plate on the south wall which marks the flood level.The first rector was the
Reverend James Price.
Pinjarra Suspension Bridge
The Pinjarra Suspension Bridge was constructed by the Australian Army's 22 Construction Squadron as a training
exercise. The material for it's construction were provided by Alcoa of Australia. It was officially opened on 10th
November 1985, by the Hon Wendy Fatin MP, the then Member for Brand. The bridge stretches across the Murray River,
providing a pedestrian link between the town centre and the residential areas on the eastern side of the river. A
very popular tourist attraction, the river banks have been landscaped and picnic barbeque facilities are available.
Watch out for the geese!